How to Create a Perfect Charcuterie Board: The Cheese-to-Person Ratio

Are you a cheese lover like us looking to curate a delightful charcuterie board for your next gathering?

Whether it's a casual get-together, a special occasion, or simply indulging in a cheese feast, getting the cheese-to-person ratio right is crucial for an unforgettable experience. In this blog post, we'll guide you through one of Olive & Fig's most frequently asked questions - How Much Cheese To Serve Per Person On My Charcuterie Board?

The art of balancing the cheese portion on your charcuterie board is key to ensuring everyone's taste buds are tantalized and satisfied.

1. Variety is the Key

Before we get into portion sizes, we must consider the variety of cheeses that will be used. When assembling a charcuterie board, the first step is to select a diverse range of cheeses. Aim for a mix of flavourss, textures, and milk types. Include some soft, creamy cheeses like Brie or Camembert, semi-soft varieties like Gouda or Havarti, firm options like Cheddar or Manchego (Olivia's favourite!), and perhaps a bold Blue cheese for those seeking an adventurous flavour, if you think Blue is a cheese your guest's will appreciate. Plan for at least three to five different types of cheese to offer your guests a delightful tasting experience.

2. Considering the Guest Count

The number of guests will significantly influence the quantity of cheese you need to prepare. As a general rule of thumb, estimate around 2 to 4 ounces of cheese per person for a charcuterie board. If you're hosting a larger event or if cheese is the main attraction, consider increasing the amount to 4 to 6 ounces per person.

charcuterie board toronto

3. Account for Other Accompaniments

Remember, a charcuterie board is not just about the cheese; it's also about the complementary elements that enhance the overall experience. Items like cured meats, fresh and dried fruits, nuts, olives, spreads, crackers, and bread all play a vital role. To strike the perfect balance, allocate around 60% of the board for cheese and the remaining 40% for accompaniments.

4. Presentation Matters

The way you present the cheese can also affect how much your guests consume. Cut the cheese into bite-sized pieces or small wedges to encourage guests to sample multiple types without feeling overwhelmed. This will also help in reducing potential waste, ensuring that no delicious cheese goes uneaten. If you are focused on creating an "Instagram-Worthy" charcuterie board, take a look at our previous article The Art of Presenting Charcuterie: Tips for Instagram-Worthy Boards

Charcuterie Board Toronto

5. Tailor to Your Guests' Preferences

Understanding your guests' preferences is essential. If you know that many attendees are passionate cheese lovers, you can lean towards a higher cheese-to-person ratio. On the other hand, if your guests are more interested in exploring various accompaniments, adjust the cheese portion accordingly.

6. Minimize Waste and Preserve Freshness

To avoid wastage and maintain the freshness of your charcuterie board, consider serving the cheese in two rounds. Start with a smaller portion, and as the first round begins to deplete, you can replenish the cheese and other accompaniments selectively. This approach allows you to manage the board effectively and ensure that everything is at its peak taste. We personally really like this option because who doesn't love more cheese? 

The Final Piece 

Creating a well-balanced charcuterie board requires a thoughtful consideration of your guests' preferences, a variety of cheeses, and appropriate quantities. By following the guidelines above, you'll be able to assemble a stunning and appetizing cheese platter that will leave a lasting impression on your guests.

Remember, the joy of a charcuterie board lies in the delightful interplay of flavours, and with a little planning, you'll be able to create a cheese spread that caters perfectly to the occasion and the tastes of your esteemed guests. 

If you don't feel like making your own, we got you! Each of our charcuterie boards are perfectly portioned for the serving sizes displayed. And of course, WE DELIVER your charcuterie board directly to you. 

Together, We Graze 

Olive & Fig Charcuterie Delivery

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.